Monday, 17 March 2008

April's Session: Beer People

Enjoying beer is as much about people as it is malt and hops. The term "social lubricant" has always seemed a little too euphemistic to me, so lets be honest: having a few pints and getting merry is bloody good fun. That's why we do it.

It's ten times better when you're with good mates, or meeting interesting new people. I've made lots of new friends in my favourite pubs and through my involvement in the beer industry. From the most skillful brewers to the louchest boozehounds, they're the reason why I keep doing this*.

On Friday 4th April, the date of the next Session, I'd like you to write about people. Choose someone you know personally. That person might be a brewer, a publican, someone who sups at your local, or maybe just a friend who is passionate about beer. Let's read some pen portraits of your companions on the path to fermented enlightenment.

The Session is an online event, hosted by a different beer blog on the first Friday of every month. Writers from around the world produce articles on a common theme. Here's a summary to date. Stonch's Beer Blog is April's host, and a round-up of all participating posts will be published here.

* The implication, of course, is that I'm not merely an alcoholic.

11 comments:

  1. I'm hoping to learn more about Doctor Robbles. Pick him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anything I've given the good Doctor a little too much exposure already...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who to choose? Us pub loving drinkers have so many to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting, my post will be up tomorrow about a great beer guy I know here in Chicagoland, check it out at http://mawpeg838.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does this go here?

    Anyway, cheers for hosting, and for picking a great topic. My post is up here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unsure where you want these sent, here's Pacific Brew News' entry for The Session.

    http://pacificbrewnews.blogspot.com/2008/04/session-beer-people-santas-little.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there, here's my contribution to this month's Session. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here is Sacramento Brewing Company's contribution to the Session.

    http://sacbrew.blogspot.com/2008/04/session-beer-people.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. My blog is about a week old, but I'd like to make a contribution the session...

    http://blackcatbrewery.blogspot.com/2008/04/beer-people.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Flying Dog's Session contribution. I look forward to reading everyones posts.

    http://www.flyingdognews.com/

    Cheers

    Chris Rippe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Stonch & co,
    Back in April, I was busy with final edits for my book, but as of this week it's out and I participated in my first Session (#20). But I wish I'd known about Beer People, b/c that's what "Red, White, and Brew: An American Beer Odyssey" is all about. Check it out and better yet, come find me on the road all October long.
    Cheers,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment.

This is what I've written about. Click on a topic to bring up all the relevant posts.

Running a pub (133) Pub reviews (76) London life (70) Beer reviews (69) Beer travels (59) Beer festivals (49) Beer history (39) Czech beer (35) Beer and food (31) Brewery visits (31) Homebrewing (30) Italian beer (30) American beer (28) German beer (28) Wetherspoons (24) Belgian beer (20) Harvey's (19) Prague (19) Brew Dog (18) The Jerusalem Tavern (18) Beer and politics (17) Fullers (17) Great British Beer Festival (17) Wells and Young's (15) Anti-Social Beer Obsessives (14) Guinness (12) InBev (12) CAMRA (11) Cider (11) Greene King (11) Pub crawls (11) Samuel Smith's (11) St Peter's (11) Timothy Taylor (11) Bad marketing (10) British Guild of Beer Writers (10) Christmas 2008 Photography Contest (10) Irish beer (10) Mild (10) Smoking ban (10) Beer and art (9) Beer and music (9) Scottish and Newcastle (9) Sparklers (9) The Betsey Trotwood (9) Visions of Beer (9) Beer shops (8) Meantime (8) Stella Artois (8) Wine (8) Ma Che Siete Venuti a Fa' (7) Morris dancing (7) Sharp's (7) Shepherd Neame (7) Stonch's Surveys (7) Anheuser-Busch (6) Carlsberg (6) Jarrow (6) Pitfield (6) Pub closures (6) St Albans (6) Taddington Moravka (6) The Lewes Arms (6) Beer and television (5) BrewCam (5) Liefmans (5) Oxford (5) Pilsner Urquell (5) St Austell (5) Staropramen (5) The Phantom Tramp (5) The Real Ale Twats (5) Batemans (4) Bier-Mania (4) Budvar (4) Gunmakers menu (4) Michael Jackson (4) Pub games (4) Purity Brewing (4) SIBA (4) South Shields (4) African beer (3) Ascot Ales (3) Bernard (3) Cambridge (3) Carling (3) Pub dogs (3) Sir Hiram Maxim (3) The London Beer Map (3) The Steamboat (3) Mead (2) Strippers in pubs (2) Bruges (1) Pubcos (1)